Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Baking marathon

I made two pumpkin gooey butter cakes this afternoon during nap. The recipe is in last year's Thanksgiving post. Pumpkin pie was once a favorite in our house, but its been replaced! Disclaimer--it's a Paula Deen recipe, so I used an entire package of butter (that would be four sticks) to make two cakes. I'm not sure that using 1/3 less fat cream cheese really mattered, but hey, I tried. I had lots of help from Chase since he's home from school. We went to the grocery store this afternoon after an emergency trip to the dentist. The good news is that I don't have a cavity or sinus infection. Apparently I have sensitive teeth and need to switch to Sensodyne toothpaste. Uh, okay. I don't ever want to go to the grocery the day before TG again--it was insanity. And the next time Dad offers to babysit when I have a dentist trip, I'm totally taking him up on it.

Cass and I had sushi for lunch (california rolls for her, spicy rolls for me) and Chase had a hot dog lunchable. Gross, I know. Sherm has spent the majority of today outside or crated and I don't care. I'm over this whole perfectionist thing. Well trying to be...

I'm going to go hang w/my sous chef. Happy Thanksgiving!

2 comments:

Jen Graham said...

The cakes sound fantastic... do you have a recipe for them? Or a link to a recipe?

tennysons said...

Pumpkin Gooey Butter Cake
Cake: 1 (18 1/4-ounce) package yellow cake mix
1 egg
8 tablespoons butter, melted Filling: 1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese, softened
1 (15-ounce) can pumpkin
3 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
8 tablespoons butter, melted
1 (16-ounce) box powdered sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon nutmeg
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Combine the cake mix, egg, and butter and mix well with an electric mixer. Pat the mixture into the bottom of a lightly greased 13 by 9-inch baking pan.
To make the filling: In a large bowl, beat the cream cheese and pumpkin until smooth. Add the eggs, vanilla, and butter, and beat together. Next, add the powdered sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, and mix well. Spread pumpkin mixture over cake batter and bake for 40 to 50 minutes. Make sure not to overbake as the center should be a little gooey.
Variations: For a Pineapple Gooey Cake: Instead of the pumpkin, add a drained 20-ounce can of crushed pineapple to the cream cheese filling. Proceed as directed above.
For a Banana Gooey Cake: Prepare cream cheese filling as directed, beating in 2 ripe bananas instead of the pumpkin. Proceed as directed above.
For a Peanut Butter Gooey Cake: Use a chocolate cake mix. Add 1 cup creamy peanut butter to the cream cheese filling instead of the pumpkin. Proceed as directed above.

Just make sure your pan is large enough to let the cakes rise quite a bit...and put a cookie sheet underneath just in case!