It's not a secret that I enjoy spirited debates on a few different internet message boards. Mostly I tend to debate politics as I learned a long time ago that debating parenting styles is pointless. No one likes to make a better liar out of you than your children!
My writing style has always been a bit inflammatory--that was part of the reason people actually read The Green Owl (my college newspaper) during my tenure as Editor in Chief--you never knew what I was going to say! It was an election year and I was probably the first Republican editor in the paper's history. One of the biggest compliments I recieved at the time was, "When I read your editorials, I can hear you. You write exactly how you speak." As a journalism student, I counted the fact that I could communicate my views that clearly as a tremendous success.
My writing style tends towards the snark and lacks tact. I freely acknowledge this. I am far more of an Ann Coulter or Rush Limbaugh than I am a Thomas Sowell. I am an outspoken, opinionated Conservative. And while I respect your right to disagree with me, if you do disagree with me, you're wrong and I won't hesitate to tell you why. I have no patience at all for the politically correct movement and I refuse to mince words for fear of hurting feelings. In other words, I call it like I see it.
It is this no-holds-barred approach to life (and writing, and debating, and politics) that caused a firestorm on one of the boards I frequent. A few posts ago I brought up the race issue in this election. For the record, I do not believe that Barack Obama was elected POTUS solely because he is black. I have never said that. But to pretend that his race had NOTHING to do with his election to that office is at best denial and at worst sheer lunacy. Howard Stern (yes, THAT Howard Stern) proves my point with this clip (warning--there is an "F-bomb" not 10 seconds into the footage, but it is worth watching nonetheless). http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5p3OB6roAg
Naturally, daring to mention the race issue to a bunch of left wing libs caused a huge pile on. I was accused of racism, called a bigot, told I couldn't possibly know that anyone voted for Obama solely based on his skin color (although the clip above shoots that theory down like Palin and a moose). When they couldn't go after the political, the attacks got personal. One group had their panties in such a bunch that they took the flogging to another message board. You know, because nothing says democracy and spirited political debate like making fun of someone behind her back in a place where she can't defend herself. Perhaps it is all going to my head, but I'm starting to think that Ann Coulter may need to watch out...if I can piss off a few desperate housewives to that extent with a few posts on an internet message board, imagine what my book sales could be! Oh, the possibilities...
1 comment:
I'd buy your book any day. And do some of the research for it!
Post a Comment