Thursday, November 6, 2008

Sick Day

So Chase got a sick day today. He woke up complaining of a sore throat and felt a little warm, so I kept him home and took him to the ped for a strep test. It's not strep and he'll be back at school tomorrow.

I continue to be impressed by my fellow conservatives and the spirit of unity that they're displaying. Would that the left displayed such dignity following the elections in 2000 and 2004...last night Karl Rove expressed his support for President-elect Obama on three Fox News shows (O'Reilly, Hannity and Colmes, and Greta). This afternoon, Glenn Beck also announced his support for our new President-elect. I'm truly proud of my party for reaching across the aisle and doing what is best for our country, despite Obama's appointment of no less than a far-left, partisan attack dog (I can't call Rahm Emanuel a pit bull, that's an insult to both Baxter and Ruthie) as his Chief of Staff. Say what you will about Karl Rove, but to my knowledge, he never mailed a dead fish to someone who pissed him off. Rahm Emanuel did. And that is Barack Obama's new Chief of Staff. Yeah--I'm not really feeling much HOPE about the CHANGE that is coming...

I recieved the following quote in an email today:

"The American people will never knowingly adopt socialism. But, under the name of 'liberalism,' they will adopt every fragment of the socialist program, until one day America will be a socialist nation, without knowing how it happened." - Norman Thomas, U.S. Socialist Party presidential candidate 1940, 1944 and 1948

Goldberg also uses this quote in Liberal Fascism. I fear this is where our country is headed. While debating online today, someone commented that because the US is the only remaining Superpower, naturally Germany, France, and Canada have a vested interest (and opinion) in our national leadership. It was the perfect opportunity to point out that indeed those nations are NOT Superpowers, but they are examples of governments/societies with the exact sort of socialist model liberals want to see in America. And they're NOT Superpowers. Imagine that. The last socialist Superpower was the USSR (Union of Soviet Socialist Republics). Those of us who lived through it (and students of history) know that the USSR collapsed because Ronald Reagan outspent them (and basically pushed them into bankruptcy) on defense. You can't support your entire population while also defending yourself against external threats. Something has to give. The Soviet Union collapsed under the financial strain.

The Dow is down over 800 points since yesterday. While some of this can be contributed to horrible retail sales in October and lower than expected corporate earnings reports, some of the sell off can also be attributed to fear that Obama will raise the capital gains tax. In the best of circumstances, raising taxes does not stimulate the economy. Raising taxes in the midst of a financial crisis could spell disaster for us all.

I'm hoping for the best, and preparing for the worst...

No comments: