So apparently Cassie lost in the crapshoot that is DNA. Mikki has asthma and we both have allergy issues. Hers were always far worse than mine and tend to manifest themselves in her lungs, mine were/are far more mild and tend to manifest themselves in rash form. Cassie has eczema, which is closely related to asthma and allergies (although the researchers are still figuring out how). And now she's had an allergic reaction to one of her vaccines. Either Prevnar or Hib, if you're down on infant vaccines and care.
I doubt there has ever been a mother more pro-vaccine than me (I did spend three years teaching in the cesspool that is preschool), so the irony of my daughter having a reaction to her vaccine is not lost on me. Her eczema flared on her face this morning, she has a red spot at the site of the vax--it is a classic allergic reaction. Cortisone treated the flare this morning (although it is coming back this evening) and she just had her first dose of Benadryl. I suspect she and dye-free Children's Benadryl are going to become friends in the coming years...despite the fact that Jamie is now wearing more of it than she actually swallowed.
What also cracked me up was the fact that the nurse at the ped's office was somewhat incredulous that she's still 100% formula fed. I pointed out that I was TRYING to avoid allergies (specifically, food allergies) and that the ped supported that decision 100%. SIGH. Irony #3? The fact that Captain Control Freak can't control this. If the Benadryl "fixes" the rash, things are good. If it doesn't, we'll be at the ped tomorrow and dear, sweet Nina will be waiting for the dishwasher repairman in my place.
Never a dull moment, right?
No comments:
Post a Comment