Sunday, September 26, 2010

Rough Weekend

Strep test came back positive this morning. I'm functioning well so long as I've got ibuprofen in me. I'm even letting Chase's BFF spend the night tonight. Lest you freak out, I know from my ridiculously frequent previous bouts that it isn't super contagious. I worked the church sausage supper with it last year and worked the conference meeting with it this afternoon.

It appears that my big girl is finished with naps. I suspected this day was coming, but it sucks nonetheless. Chase napped until he was five. For 2-3 hours a day, every single day. I knew I was lucky, and I hoped I'd get that lucky twice. Not so much. So instead of 2-3 hours of nap and a later bedtime, the princess is now in bed by 8pm. She's getting the same amount of sleep, just in one overnight chunk instead of split up. I'm trying to be excited about the flexibility of our new schedule, but mostly I'm just sad to see another part of babyhood slip away.

It's been a pretty shitastic weekend all the way around really. I'm happy for my sister and her new job and new house and all of that. But I was not happy with her last night. I didn't feel well, I was having a bad day (see previous paragraph about the nap thing), and she immediately launched into 110 reasons why Christmas needs to be moved up so she can hightail it to Tulsa faster. Mere days after she promised me that our holidays would not be affected by her move. Jamie has hunting trips on the calendar already. And honestly? As batshit crazy as she drives me, with my mom gone, she and Dad are all the family I have left. I can't imagine a holiday without her. I was grateful I'd have this year as it's always been before she moved (see my previous post about hating change), so her complete about face yesterday completely pulled the rug out from under me. On top of the strep, the not-napping daughter...and on it goes.

To top it all off, there was drama at church today. Sometimes I wonder why I try at all. Thank God for old friends who listen to my pity party and love me anyway. I know everything happens for a reason. I'm realizing that my sister's move is a good reminder that my friends are the family I've chosen. Plus, Stacy is moving back--I know Jamie's brothers prefer to spend Christmas Day with their immediate families, but Jamie and I always include his dad and stepmom in our festivities and I will extend that invitation to Stacy this year and the next. And the next...it will all work out.

On the bright side, got a great deal at my favorite consignment store and a super cute rug on sale at Target for Cassie's room. And now the season premiere of Desperate Housewives is on...I haven't watched it regularly, but with Vanessa Williams joining the cast, I'm curious...

1 comment:

Aunt Judy said...

Sweet Godchild of mine,

You will always have family, after
all, we knew you before you were born, such a happy day for us....

Hope you are feeling better soon so you can carry on the good fight!!!

Love
Aunt Judy
Aunt Sand