Friday, September 3, 2010

Rest In Peace, Lyndsey

Last night Cassie and I attended a visitation for 20 year old Lyndsey Ellis. Lyndsey joined Alpha Chi Omega at William Woods not quite three weeks ago. Her big brother Ryan dates a junior in the chapter. Lyndsey suffered from scleroderma and complications from it killed her one week into the school year. I vividly remember a conversation with her father on Bid Day. Her parents were so excited and her dad and I talked about how fun Dad's Weekend and Parent's Weekend is in the sorority house (her big brother is a PIKE at WWU but Mr. Ellis was looking forward to adding sorority activities to the fraternity ones). That conversation has haunted me all week. Last night at the visitation, Mr. Ellis told me that Lyndsey's two weeks at William Woods were her happiest in the last five years (since her diagnosis). It is hard to describe the combination of pride and pain I felt at that moment. Pride because I know what Greek life can do for individuals. I've seen shy young women blossom into leaders ready to take on the world. And I'm so proud of my women and my chapter for providing that experience for Lyndsey, as short as her time there was, I'm grateful she had it.

Of course, that comment was excrutiating to hear because I am a mother. I can't imagine the depths of the Ellis family's agony, and I pray I never experience it firsthand. As great as her week was, I can't help but wonder why she couldn't be with us longer. I think of all the things she missed and it breaks my heart. I keep reminding myself that I can't see God's plan and while it is difficult to understand why He calls certain angels home sooner than others, I have to trust Him. I pray that Lyndsey's family and her sisters will find peace and comfort in their memories of Lyndsey and that God will provide peace in their hearts.

The women sang "In This Very Room" at the visitation last night and the funeral this morning. Yet there is another song that comes to my mind when I think of Lyndsey.

"So tonight while you sleep, may God bless you and keep you as you dream of our fraternity." Rest in peace, sweet Lyndsey.

No comments: