Monday, April 14, 2008

Another busy, busy day! We dropped Chase off at school this morning and hit the vet's office. We were, of course, late to the vet b/c Cassie pooped on the way out the door and then Chase remembered that Monday is library day and his library book wasn't in his book bag. It doesn't appear to be anywhere in the house, either. And while I realize it didn't sprout legs and walk out of here--I can't find it. So Jamie and Chase are going to have to search for it tonight. Woody did alright at the vet, although he did puke all over the lobby shortly after his shot...the vet thinks his weight loss is his age--nothing unusual turned up in the exam.

We came home and waited for the garage door repairman. Yesterday the springs busted--both of them. I took one look at the garage door and knew instantly what the problem was. Jamie didn't believe me. He kept trying to tighten the tension and all sorts of other nonsense. Meanwhile, I'm pointing to the springs saying, "Honey--see how there are four springs? There should only be two..." I was right (big surprise, I know). Cassie was terrified of the repairman. Every time she looked at him, she melted. That is SO unlike her. And he was really a very nice man. But she didn't seem to think so!

Last night I made lentil stew. It was a Sunday school project for Chase. He didn't like it, but Jamie and I enjoyed it very much. I substituted 3/4 C of great northern beans for 3/4 C of lentils, b/c Chase bumped into me in the kitchen and that's how many lentils ended up on the floor (and subsequently in my vacuum bag). It was still really tasty.

Lentil Stew
Cover 2 C dried lentils (I used 1 1/4 C lentils and 3/4 C Great Northern Beans) with 2 C water, add 1 t baking soda and bring to a boil. Drain and rinse well w/hot water. Combine lentils 2 more C of hot water, celery, onion, carrots, basil, salt & pepper to taste. Cook slowly until tender*.


I cooked it for a really long time and ended up adding 4 more cups of water during the cooking process. It made about 8 C soup total. I served it w/whole wheat bagels and kosher salt.

That was my dinner last night, snack yesterday evening, and lunch today. Yum-O and super easy. Chase helped me chop the veggies using my Pampered Chef chopper. And he vacuumed downstairs yesterday--he is quite a little helper these days!

I'm off to set up Cassie's 9 month pics.

No comments: