Thursday, July 31, 2008

Rest in Peace, sweet boy



We euthanized our sweet beagle boy yesterday afternoon, after it became very clear that his quality of life was in great decline. He had a rough night Tuesday night, and refused food and water yesterday. I looked at this dog, who at 23lbs was a shell of his former self and decided that the time had come to give him a humane and dignified exit from this life. Jamie met me at the vet and was rather reluctant, but the vet was very blunt and said we'd been on borrowed time with him for a while now and that time was running out--if we took him home yesterday, we'd be back within the week because Woody was dying. And I couldn't bear to see him suffer. So we opted to spare him any more pain.

It was very peaceful, I got to hold him as the vet administered the shot...Jamie was petting him, and I told him to go play with Baxter. He was a loyal, faithful companion until the very end and I miss him tremendously.

Chase handled it better than Jamie or me--we simply explained that Woody had gotten very sick and that the vet couldn't fix him. He said, "Well, at least we've still got Sherman...Woody's with Baxter and Grandma now in Heaven and we'll see him again someday." It's hard to argue with that. Rest in peace, sweet beagle boy.

No comments: