Sunday, July 20, 2008

Everything happens for a reason...

The rescue group we got Spike from is refusing to adopt to us again. Because we have a child under five. No kidding. Funny, that didn't stop them before... The fact that they deny that they ever have mismatches and then won't adopt to us after mismatch really makes me wonder. STL Boxer Rescue has a 1 week trial period b/c they realize that not every dog is a good fit for every family...but just b/c one dog isn't a good fit doesn't mean another dog wouldn't be. Too bad the boys have their heart set on a Golden. B/c I'd really like a boxer and I'd like one from STLBR.

We're getting a puppy. At this point I don't want to take a chance on a dog w/an unknown background. We'll still do rescue--we found a place that adopts out pups who are deemed physically undesirable by breeders (too curly, overbite, etc) but I'm done with Dirk's Fund. A rescue organization that blames humans for the inevitable mismatches that happen in rescue is just incredibly irresponsible. Would they have preferred I wait to relinquish the dog until he bit a human and had to be euthanized? I did the right thing and now they're punishing me for it. An object possessive dog does NOT belong in a house with small children. Period. Moreover, their refusal to adopt to me (a responsible pet owner) is exactly the sort of thing that fuels the puppy mills they claim to loathe. I want another dog. My family wants a golden retriever. So we're getting a golden retriever puppy. If not through them, then through another source. I'm educated enough to not hit up my neighborhood backyard breeder or puppy mill, but what about the people who aren't? They are perpetuating the exact situation they claim to want to prevent. Their refusal to adopt to me isn't going to keep me from adopting--I'm just not going to adopt from them!

It's not like I've come to this decision lightly. I know puppies are a lot of work. I also know that puppies chew and that life is going to be challenging for a few months w/a toddler and puppy. But I don't want someone else's problem becoming my problem, KWIM? I'm just really frustrated right now. I'm a good mom, dog and human. And I don't appreciate the insinuation by some Cesar Milan wannabe that I'm not. Quite honestly, I don't know too many other people who would go to the lengths I've gone to making Woody's golden years as comfortable as possible. The monthly vet visits, the leakage...a lot of other dog owners would have euthanized him months ago. But not me. But I'm a bad dog mom. Whatever.

Leg is okay as long as I take my pain meds. I went almost 12 hrs between pills overnight and the pain woke me up this morning. The vicodin dulls things to a small roar though. Jamie says I'm crabby. And that could very well be. IDK if I'm going to church this morning--I'm not sure the pews would be good for the leg. We'll see.

I'll update about the puppy when I know more, we're visiting him today...

No comments: