I've been neglectful, and I apologize. It is cycle break and I've had my hands (and house) full.
You know the "curse?" The one that begins with your mother saying, "I hope you have kids just like you..." I've got it. My tenacity and force of will (I believe that's the nicest way of saying stubborn as a mule) has been passed along to my offspring. Cassie is currently going through separation anxiety. Which means that my formerly good sleeper turns into a sobbing disaster when placed in her crib. Once lifted out of the crib and in my arms, she's fine. Start placing her in the crib again and the tears flow. Aunt Amy was on the phone this evening and verified the crocodile tears. This afternoon Cassie skipped her nap. She cried in her crib for 45 agonizing minutes. This evening, she fell asleep w/her bottle, woke up 45 minutes later, and cried for 75 minutes, stopping only when I went in and tried to feed her another bottle. She refused the bottle--she wasn't hungry, she just wanted to hang w/mama.
I know there are mothers out there who wouldn't dream of letting their snookum cry for 75 minutes. Blah blah attachment disorder, blah blah attachment parenting, blah blah blah. I'm so not one of those mothers. I think quality sleep is as important as food, and babies need to learn to sleep on their own. Perhaps b/c I can look at Chase and see that he's turned out just fine in spite of Jamie and my parenting skills (LOL)...and perhaps b/c I know my mom let my sister and me cry it out and we've turned out just fine. I will never forget when I was going through this w/Chase and asked my mom how the holy hell she listened to two crying babies carry on. She told me she didn't--she went out onto the back deck so she couldn't hear us crying. Seeing as it is in the 40s right now, that's not an option for me, but I did turn down the baby monitor and start vacuuming. And when the carpet was clean, Cassie was asleep. Whatever works--right?
And luckily for me, I've already cursed both children...
No comments:
Post a Comment