Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Alexander's Horrible, Very Bad, No Good, Rotten Day

I think that is the title of one of my favorite preschool books. I had a day like that today. Chase is going through a challenging phase right now (which is my polite way of saying that he's being a royal pain in the butt). He doesn't listen. I swear that kid is me, with Jamie's looks and a penis. It is SO frustrating. I mean, me as a man?! Bad news, people. It is bad news.

I remember spending much of my childhood in la la land. I remember hearing my dad tell me not to step off a step in a jacuzzi at the Holiday Inn in Junction Springs, Colorado. I also remember doing what I wanted to do (as opposed to what my dad TOLD me to do), stepping off that step, going under super hot water, and damn near drowning in a jacuzzi (who makes a jacuzzi five feet deep anyway?). Somewhere in heaven, my mom is sitting on a cloud, watching me pull my hair out and laughing her ass off. Seriously. Because as my dad ever so gently points out--the traits of Chase's that drive me the most crazy are the ones he inherited from me. I think that's what frustrates me the most, I don't want him to repeat my mistakes. Even though I know he has to learn from HIS mistakes, not mine. But it's so hard to watch.

And Cassie? She's Chase, part 2. Another one with Jamie's looks and my personality (including the temper). She's tougher about certain things, but the drama. Oh the drama when you tell her "no." I remember when Chase was a baby and I asked my mom when parenting would get easier. She said "Never." Mom was right...

No comments: