Friday, October 10, 2008

Freedom of Speech (or--why I take issue w/banning "hate speech")


Hate speech is a favorite term of lefty libs. Often you'll find that freedom of speech applies, excluding "hate speech." I'm pretty sure that when our Founding Fathers wrote the constitution, they were protecting ALL speech, regardless of whom it offended or whether it fell into the recently coined category of "hate speech." And I'm guessing my Barack Bling over there (thanks, D!) would probably be classified by some as hate speech, hence why I'm displaying it so loud and proud!

A favorite tactic of lefty libs is selective use of the whole freedom of speech thing. Recently I left a comment about Joe Biden's incompetence in a reply to a friend's Facebook status. She was trashing Palin, I merely pointed out that 30 years of foreign policy "experience" doesn't count for much if you're on the wrong side of every issue during those 30 years. I received a private message requesting I not leave my (conservative) opinions on her site since they differed from her (liberal) opinions and offended her. This is a classic liberal move. Freedom of speech is fine and dandy, so long as the libs agree with you. If they don't...then the First Amendment doesn't apply. Of course, they can't admit to their selective use of the First Amendment (personal responsibility--what?) and call it what it is, so instead they apply the vague PC term "hate speech" to shut you down and call it a day.

ETA Point of Clarification: This sort of behavior is what will evenutally lead to gross violations of the First Amendment. I have a right to my opinion and I have a right to voice that opinion. You don't have to agree with that opinion and you don't have to like that opinion, but you darn well better respect my right to say and vocalize it, regardless of how "offensive" you may find it. If you were to check out my Facebook page, you'd notice lots of comments from Conservatives and Liberals alike. I don't agree with everything (or really anything) my Liberal friends post, but if I'm going to put my opinion out there (and I do), I respect their right to disagree and put THEIR opinion out there. This exchange of ideas is a healthy part of our political process. The exchange of ideas is also what allows conservative talk radio to function as a fair counterpoint to NPR and the mainstream media. Yet Democrats in Congress have tried to LEGISLATE talk radio because they don't like what they hear on it. I'm sure Conservative politicians don't like what they hear on NBC, but I haven't seen any legislation coming from them trying to smack down or censor NBC. I can't say the same thing about the left.

Recently a friend was soliciting information about the Presidential candidates and asked why people liked the candidates they did. The most common answer given about Barack Obama was, "I love him." or "He's great." or "He's wonderful." Policy, political stances, past legislation--none of that matters. An entire generation has been sucked under the spell of a charismatic socialist.

When asked about McCain, policy (vs. charm) generally made up the answers given. Now I realize that there are people voting for Obama who genuinely know, understand, and agree with his socialist agenda. More power to them. I think they're crazy. But that's their right. What bothers me is how many people have been suckered into voting for an underqualified junior senator b/c he offers "hope and change." SO DID HITLER. And look where that got Germany seventy some odd years ago.

I'm not saying that Obama is going to round up all of our Jewish citizens and exterminate them in concentration camps. On the other hand, did you hear about the "Obama Truth Squad?" Go ahead and Google it, I'll wait. Now, read all about that and tell me that if that one gets elected that your First Amendment rights won't be smashed for the "common good." (Hello, common good--Marxism, anyone?) Turning law enforcement officials into members of a "truth squad" is a bit too KGB for me. How long until his "truth squad" starts rounding up people who merely disagree w/Obama? How long until Congress passes legislation to muzzle Rush Limbaugh, Sean Hannity, Laura Ingraham and the like?

I'm just saying...

ETA--I'm not the only one. Michael Barone says this: http://townhall.com/Columnists/MichaelBarone/2008/10/11/the_coming_obama_thugocracy

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I usually just come to see the pics of your kids. :) I can see why you might be upset, but the first amendment does not apply to Facebook. And someone asking you not to do something is not "banning hate speech", or banning anything. As a conservative, it's a bit ... eh... when other conservatives make statements like this.

tennysons said...

I clarified my stance. After a glass of Pinot, I don't think I was clear that my friend was an example of how liberals refuse to accept any opinion that differs from theirs. While simple interactions between civilians on Facebook may be no big deal, that mindset is what causes leftist members of Congress to try to push through legislation that could eventually shut down talk radio. I fear that's where we're headed under an Obama Presidency.

Note to self...no more blogging after wine.

PS--Who are you and why are you looking at pics of my kids? B/c I can't access your profile and that's a little disturbing.

Anonymous said...

Sorry, I forgot to sign my name. :) I don't know why it says a., I can't figure that out. It's double treble from banshees.