Sunday, December 30, 2007

We missed church today. Yesterday was a really busy day w/two Christmases and Cassie is still quite stuffed up. I can hear her snuffly breathing over the monitor as I type. We'll head over to dad's for lunch when she wakes up. But she missed a nap or two yesterday and poor quality sleep is really the last thing she needs right now. In fact, she's still in her jammies and I may just leave her in them all day...they're Chase's old yellow duckie fleece jammies. Mind you, he wore them when he was 9-12 mths old and she's only six months, but they're just as cute on her as they were on him!

I think the Christmases went well yesterday, although I'm not sure what my sister's blog will say (http://www.hodgefamilyhappenings.blogspot.com/). Hayden was a bit uncooperative in the morning (that might be the understatement of the year, but hey, she's my niece and not my kid, so understatements are in order here) but Bud took her on a drive and she went back to normal after that. She wants to move in to Camp Christi. I told her I only let potty trained big girls come to Camp Christi. Mikki suggested that Camp Christi be potty training camp. I don't think so. I also don't think she'd be quite as enamoured w/me after a week here...last week Chase told me he wanted a new mom after I told him to quit whining in Kohl's (I may have worded it a bit more strongly than that, of course). I told him good luck with that since his behavior at the time was less than marketable. ;)

But anyway, back to Christmas. On the way to Nita's house, Chase asked if there would be any presents there for him. I said, "Oh, I think there may be one or two for you..." and he said, "I just LOVE Christmases!" It was too funny. I made a yummy frittata for brunch (despite the fact that Cassie had me up for three hours on Friday night and I really thought I might drop dead from sheer exhaustion after the marathon playdate, cleaning, etc). I was instructed by Mikki to post the recipe on here. Like everything I cook, it is super-easy. I actually made a much more difficult egg casserole on Christmas morning and Dad said the easier one tastes better. Hey--I'll take it!

INGREDIENTS:
1 1/2 cups frozen hash brown potatoes,
vegetable oil spray,
salt and pepper to taste,
1 1/2 cups shredded cheese,
2 cups any combination of vegetables and/or meat,
2 cups egg substitute (like egg beaters)
PREPARATION:
Microwave potatoes 3 to 5 minutes on high, or until hot; drain as necessary. Spray pie plate with vegetable oil spray; pour in the egg substitute. Layer potatoes, salt & pepper, vegetables and/or meats, and 1 cup cheese into pie plate. Top with remaining cheese. Bake at 350° for about 40 minutes or until center is set. Cool slightly before serving.
Make your own combination: Mexican Frittata - Use Monterey Jack & Cheddar cheese, diced green chilies, diced tomato, chopped onion*. French Frittata - Use Swiss cheese, chopped ham, chopped spinach, and sliced mushrooms. Italian Frittata - Use Mozzarella cheese, thin quartered zucchini slices, chopped tomato, and sliced black olives.

*Note, I made the mexican version w/shredded 2% mexi-blend cheese, 1 can of ro-tel (tomatoes and green chilis) drained well and 1/2 an onion, chopped for the veggies. It was totally yum-o and couldn't be easier!

Cassie awakes. She's been asleep for an hour and a half, so it's time to hit Grandpa's for lunch. We're off...

PS--Speech delay my hiney. Cassie has discovered her voice and she "talks" as much as any other member of her immediate family. Boy are we in for it!

No comments: