Monday, December 29, 2008

Slacker

Sorry I've been lax on the blog, I was a bit preoccupied last week with two Christmases for 28 (it was an 18 hour day, which isn't so much a holiday as hell on earth) and then Christmas Round 3 with the monster in law the very next day! Lucky me! At least we've upgraded to Applebees instead of the truck stop or Cracker Barrel. Unfortunately, I've got a trio of canker sores (stress?) and thought popping a (leftover from Cassie's delivery) Percocet would be a good idea Friday morning. Turns out that wasn't such a good idea on an empty stomach...but MIL was certainly more tolerable. My sister doesn't believe that I have to sit through her piano/singing recitals every time we visit. There is photographic evidence on Facebook and next time, I'm taping her w/my cell and sending it as proof of the hell I endure. On the bright side, as I was piling the majority of her gifts in the back of the van to drop off at Goodwill, I made a mental list of resolutions for Chase's future wife.

1. I will not buy all of your Christmas gifts at Dollar General or Wal Mart. Not that there is anything inherently wrong with Dollar General or Wal Mart...but every single gift?! Come on!
2. I will not buy you clothing that is wildly inappropriate for a 30-something mother of two and say, "I thought it would be cute on you." Nor will I buy you a Hanes t-shirt w/the $3 clearance tag still on it and say, "I know you like plain stuff."
3. I promise not to buy you tiny purses (when you carry a diaper bag) or beaded evening bags and tell you how "expensive" they were.
4. I promise not to give you a used, fake designer bag that I bought for myself but quit using when I realized how moronic I looked carrying a diaper bag. And then tell you that I bought the bag for myself but want you to have it!
5. I promise not to buy your kids a bunch of crappy toys that have you worrying about their lead levels.
6. I promise not to push YOUR gift to me aside and say, "I'll look at it later when you're gone. There's lots of time for that."

Thank God for my other MIL. My Christmas gift from her this year? A blanket I mentioned I may pick up for our bed and a cookie sheet (b/c mine has seen better days). IOW, stuff she heard me say I wanted but knew I wouldn't get around do actually doing. Isn't that the whole point of gift giving? To give something the recipient would like, as opposed to something YOU like? UGH. On the bright side, Jamie appreciates the tax deduction we'll get when I drop his mother's gifts for us off at Goodwill, but it's just such a waste.

Jamie is downstairs playing Mario on Chase's new DS. That thing is addicting. I got sucked in this afternoon...

Battery is dying on the laptop. Time for bed!

No comments: