Last night Chase and I went roller skating w/his Cub Scout pack. The first half hour was hell. I asked one of the Dads in my Den if the rink had a bar. They don't, but he had a 12 pack in the car. If I didn't hate beer like the proverbial fat kid and gym class, I would have polished that whole thing off. It was that bad. It's my fault. Mik and I had our sixth bday party at a roller rink. By third grade, we spent every Wednesday night at the roller rink. We could roller skate old school like Xanadu. I took Chase once when he was three and it was a disaster. He had ice skating lessons shortly after that, but we haven't done either since I got pregnant w/Cass.
Midway through last night we switched him to inline skates and he did rather well after that. He's not great, but he's cute out there and has a good time. So much so that he decided to have his seventh bday party at the roller rink. Since I need to book a party soon, tonight we scoped out another rink closer to the house. Unfortunately, when I looked up the hours online, it didn't say anything about Friday night being "teen night." Tween night is probably a more accurate description, as the kids weren't that much bigger than Chase.
There is nothing like being surrounded by waif-like tweens decked out head to toe in Hollister to make a mom (in Ann Taylor) feel old. Add to that the fact that I didn't recognize one song (NOT ONE!) the entire two hours we were there. And the twerp who apologized profusely for shouting "SH*T!" in front of me and Chase...yeah, because you know that was the first time my precious heard that word! I appreciated the respect, but it still made me realize that I'm OLD! Old. Old. Old. And not cool.
Fortunately, my first grader still thinks I'm super cool. And I really, really enjoy our one on one time. This evening he recognized a little girl from his BFF Dylan's class at the rink. He skated over and asked if she would be skating any more this evening. She got ALL embarrassed and hid behind her mom, but her mom thought Chase was adorable. Hopefully that isn't a sign of Chase's luck w/the ladies in the future...
Off to bed with me. Sherman is asleep at my feet. He got to play with Lucy (his Golden girlfriend), Oreo (his Great Dane friend) and Lennox (his Boxer bff) this evening on our walk so he is tuckered out! Check out my Facebook profile for pics of him and his new duck. And for pics of Chase's school party this morning. In case I haven't said it lately--Mrs. Duemler is really a very wonderful teacher. I <3 her.
No comments:
Post a Comment