Tuesday, December 23, 2008

My Annual Christmas Letter

Once again, I didn't actually send out a Christmas letter. Seriously, if you're one of the lucky hundred or so who gets a Christmas card from me (snort), you probably know all the exciting Tennyson news. However, I couldn't resist poking fun at the typical "our family is so wonderful" letters sent this time of year!

Happy Holidays! Season's Greetings! Merry Christmas! Happy Hanukah! Have a great Festivus, Super Solstice and Happy Kwanzaa! 2008 is nearly over and the Tennyson family survived another year...well, except Woody, our beloved beagle boy. After a long and happy life, he passed away July 30 at the age of 14 1/2. Our plan to get a puppy to help Chase w/Woody's inevitable passing surely worked, as when we broke the news to Chase, his reaction was, "Oh well, at least we've still got Sherman." Sherman is the newest member of our family, a golden retriever puppy. At nearly eight months of age, he outweighs both kids and is well on his way to outweighing ME very soon! We've socked more money into his training than Jamie and I care to think about it, and he's on his way to becoming the best behaved member of our brood. Amazing what a shock collar can do...if only human kids were as easy as dogs!

Speaking of the human kids, Cassie will be 18 months on Christmas Day and is every bit the toddler. That's my polite way of saying that I spend most of days trying to make sure she and the puppy don't kill themselves or each other by ingesting something lethal, drowning in the toilet, or eating electrical cords. She is quite fond of washing her hands, unfortunately her favorite place to do so is the aforementioned toilet. Her access to the bathroom has been halted because of this, so no potty training for her any time soon! She can be very sweet when she isn't throwing a tantrum!

Chase will be seven next month and is loving first grade. He reads now, which means I have to be very careful about what I spell and making sure he isn't reading over my shoulder when I'm on the computer. I wonder if there is some sort of hip IM language for "kid reading over my shoulder?" Truly I believe that his existence proves, without a shadow of a doubt, that selective hearing does indeed result from being born with a penis. He seems to hear exactly what he shouldn't from anywhere in the house, but can't seem to hear me speaking to him when I'm right next to him. Yeah, he's his father's son.

About Jamie--unless you've been living under a rock, you know the stock market crashed a few months ago. Don't worry about us though! Jamie is still employed and convincing people that despite the crash, the market is still, long term, a better place for their money than their mattresses! And maybe, someday, the half completed landscaping out front will get finished. Grrrrr...stock market. It can't be that bad though, Jamie managed SIX hunting trips this fall, netting an elk, mule deer, and antelope. Yes, the heads are going in his man cave. And yes, I know I'm a saint. Remind him, would you?

As for me, I continue on my path of "professional volunteerism" (Jamie calls it working my ass off for free, but that doesn't sound quite as nice or productive). I may be the prissiest thing the Cub Scouts have ever seen, but the boys in my Den love me anyway. When not helping out the Cub Scouts, PTO, Alpha Chi Omega or our church, the kids and puppy and all my other domestic duties keep me teetering on the brink of sanity. Gainful employment would undoubtly send me right off the end. Or so I tell Jamie...

All the best in 2009!
The Tennyson Family
Jamie, Christi, Chase, Cassie & Sherman

1 comment: