Saturday, June 21, 2008

Rescue dog hell

That would be discovering that the golden retriever you adopted for your son would be better off in a family without small children or other pets b/c he guards toys. And a dog guarding balls and stuffed animals + a toddler = recipe for disaster. I knew what my vet would say (b/c I've been here before w/Baxter), but I called him anyway. And he went on to say exactly what I knew he'd say and added that a golden retriever bite is no better than a pit bull mix bite, particularly when the retriever outweighs the pit by 20 lbs.

So, I'm down to a weight I haven't seen in quite some time from the sheer stress of it all (one more pound and I'll be in double digits), and Chase is heartbroken. But I know I'm doing the right thing for Spike and my family. And Spike will find his forever family--that just can't be us.

No comments: