At dinner with friends a few weeks ago, it was brought to my attention that I've been slacking on the blog a bit. When my laptop crashed last month, I took all the time I normally spend online (curse you Facebook, the great time suck of the 21st century) and found my crafty side. 10 1/2 dresses (I've got one in progress for my niece, Hayden), 2 skirts and 2 1/4 afghans (1 for my niece Hadley due in July, 1 for Cassie and 1 in progress for Chase) later--I've discovered a new hobby! In fact, I may start making dresses & skirts to sell when Cass starts preschool in July...I recently bought her an adorable outfit on Etsy and discovered that Iris & Petunia's sewing skills aren't really any better than mine! Perhaps I will make just enough to finance my new Hobby Lobby habit...that would make Jamie very happy!
The afghans I've crocheted are super easy, essentially crocheting for morons. Lion Brand yarn has a fabulous website with free patterns and instructional guides. The afghans I've made have come from a baby afghan pattern on that site--I followed the pattern for Hadley's blanket then enlarged it to make bigger blankets for my bigger kids! The photo is of Cassie's blanket in progress. With a super-sized hook and three strands of yarn at a time, they come together quickly and the kids love them. I'm planning on making lots of scarves for Christmas next year, also modifying that pattern!I know I have lots of readers who enjoy my political commentary, but (surprisingly, I know) I don't have a whole lot to say. Obama is midway through his term, the Dems are in control of Congress and to paraphrase my favorite President, Ronald Reagan. "Are you better off than you were 4 years ago?" Is our country? SIGH. Government is never the solution to our problems, frequently, it IS the problem.
I'm midway through House Rules by Jodi Picoult and am off to finish it. Her books absolutely infuriate me, as I usually enjoy them until she cops out at the end. I don't know why I continue to read her, knowing that I'll probably be disappointed in the end, but here I go again!
No comments:
Post a Comment