Thursday, July 23, 2009

Hopping on the ol'Soapbox...

I get why people criticize others' parenting...I've certainly done enough of it in my day. Clearly everyone thinks their way is the right way or they wouldn't be doing it. And parenting is one of those things in which no ones does it exactly the same...so it is easy to pick up on differences and go on the attack. Plus, admit it, it feels good to "know" you're doing it better than someone else. Supernanny and Nanny 911 exist solely for that purpose--so that parents all over America can feel better about themselves and their parenting skills.

Real-life parenting isn't always pretty. I love my kids but I don't always like them. When Cassie is throwing a tantrum and hitting me, when Chase is ignoring me or shrieking about something or asking for another DS game or another Wii game--those are not the rosy Kodak moments I imagined during my six years of infertility hell. My mother felt the same way about me, particularly during my teen years. Parenting is hard. And it can be ugly. Uglier than that is unsolicited parenting advice from virtual strangers. Who appreciates that? WHO NEEDS IT? Parenting is hard enough w/o having your motives second-guessed and questioned! I think it may be one of those things where if you can't say something nice, don't say it at all!

No comments: