Monday, July 6, 2009

And like that infamous Brady Bunch episode..."MY NOSE!"




Yes, those are adorable shots of my beautiful little girl smiling and eating a popsicle. And if you look closely you'll notice that her nasal bridge is bruised and swollen and that she's hamming it up and enjoying that popsicle in the ER, which is where we ended up last night after a lovely afternoon at Jim and Mary Ann's lake. I never dreamed that my first parental broken bone would be Cassie's broken nose at age 2. But that appears to be the case. The best part? Chase broke her nose! And if you ask her if her nose is broken, she'll say "Uh huh." And if you ask her WHO broke it, she'll say, "Bubba!"

However, it's not what it sounds like. At the lake, Cassie went and stood by the baby swing and asked to swing. I told her I'd swing her when I finished my dinner. Chase walked over and gave the swing a push, thinking she'd duck when it came at her. She's two. She didn't duck. It nailed her in the back of the head and she face planted on the concrete. Jamie picked her up (he saw the whole thing coming and tried to get to her to save her) and I immediately saw her nose and freaked out. We threw everything in the back of the van and headed home for a decent hospital. There was NO WAY we were going to the podunk hospital in Sullivan that missed his Grandma's stroke a few weeks ago w/my possible head-trauma daughter. Not happening.

So we headed up here to the nearby hospital w/a Children's branch in the ER. Jamie headed home w/Chase and Shermy and I stayed at the hospital w/Cass, who was in great spirits and climbing all over everything, much to the dismay of the staff. I finally set her up on a stool washing her hands in the sink, which she loved! She demanded to "EAT!" the minute the ped walked in the room--I wonder if that's because the ped looked more like a high school student than doctor...anyway, she was very nice, seemed to know her stuff and referred us to a specialist (we go Wednesday) b/c there isn't much they can do for broken noses.

In the meantime, I've nicknamed the kids Rocky Jr (Cass) and Muhammed Ali (Chase). And told Chase that just because I'm not mad and understand it was an accident doesn't mean I can't give him crap for breaking his sister's nose for the rest of our lives...;P

No comments: