which shouldn't surprise any of you!
I've been reading a bit about the California mother of six who recently became a mother of 14 after giving birth to octuplets. We spent three years trying to conceive Cassie. Six months of Clomid courtesy of Dr. B. When that didn't work (hey--it was how we got Chase), she sent us to Dr. P for "ovarian hyperstimulation." We started on clomid, a slightly higher dosage than Dr. B's. I did another six or eight months on clomid (not consecutive because there were months I had to take off for testing and other things) and then I had a laparoscopy. Endometriosis was discovered and removed. I did three more months of clomid and still no pregnancy. So we moved on to the big guns--I started injectible meds and intrauterine insemination. I did six months of injectibles and had three IUIs. Cass was conceived on our third (and final) round of IUI. Praise God! If the IUI hadn't worked, we'd have taken two months off and started IVF in January 2007. Three of my injectible cycles were cancelled because I developed too many follicles (more than four) and my risk of multiples was too high. Since I said from the get go that selective reduction was NOT an option for us, conceiving higher order multiples was also NOT an option from my dr's perspective. During each of my three IUI cycles, I had four eggs release and approximately 180 million sperm deposited. 12 eggs + 540 million sperm = 1 Cassie. Really, how many people can say that? The bright side of infertility.
I had more vaginal ultrasounds and blood draws than I can count. Not to mention injecting myself w/pergonal. On good days I felt like a pincushion and on bad days--a science project gone bad. I would do it all over again in a heartbeat, without a second thought, for our Cassie. But I'd never do it again. Jamie and I love our kids and if God surprises us with a third, we'd be over the moon. But I can't imagine subjecting myself and my body to the hell that is fertility treatment again when I've been blessed with two beautiful, healthy, and perfect children. That just seems so greedy, selfish and wrong to me.
My doctor cancelled all cycles (clomid & injectible) if there were more than 4 follicles large enough to release. Did I ever resent his conservatism? You bet. I wanted a baby more than anything and I knew my chances of conceiving were higher w/a truckload of eggs shooting out. But we never tried "the fun way" during those cycles. Maybe it's because I'm a twin, or because I know my limitations as a mother, or because I'm vain and know my belly would never recover, but multiples scared the bejeezus out of me. I'll never forget freaking out on the phone during one injectible cycle to my mom and having her say to me, "Christi, if I could handle it, you could too." Thankfully, God blessed us with the singleton pregnancy I wanted! But the thought of multiples was on my mind with every needle stick and probe I endured.
Given the time I put in at the RE's office (that would be Reproductive Endocrinologist for those of you lucky enough to get pregnant w/o help), I think I'm qualified to say that California mother is crazy. And if she isn't certifiable now, she will be in a few years. Do you WATCH Jon and Kate plus 8? Because her life just became that plus 6 minus the husband part of the equation. Even more than that, there is a team of medical professionals who violated simple common sense and every single medical guideline for reproductive endocrinology with this pregnancy. More than the mother's lack of common sense (which bothers me a lot--because really, if you're bankrupt, you probably shouldn't be pursing fertility treatment to expand your brood of six), I'm bothered by the medical professionals who encouraged this. The whole situation is just really very sad and wrong to me.
1 comment:
I absolutely agree and it angers me that this person has done this and others assisted.
I also am so glad that you were able to have your two beautiful babies, but am sorry you had to work so hard in order to do so...but (as I hope to know in the coming months) am so glad that it was all worth it in the end!!
Sincerely,
Fran
Post a Comment