A few weeks ago, an old friend from my elementary school days updated his status with a rant about how ridiculous all the "peanut free" stuff is these days. A few years ago, I probably would have agreed with him. I love peanut butter and haven't met a nut I don't like. Nutella? Heaven in a jar, folks. I remember the seeing the "peanut free classroom" sign on Chase's kindy door and feeling really sorry for that kid and her mother! Life without peanut butter? I couldn't imagine! Until it was MY KID with the allergy...
At Cassie's 2 month well child check, I pointed out a mild rash all over her body to the pediatrician. She said it was eczema, likely an allergy to the scented baby wash and Tide I was using, and recommended that I switch to something free and clear. That was easy enough. But several months later, when she was crusing around the kitchen, she grabbed a plastic spoon w/peanut butter on it and went to town. She promptly broke out in a rash. I mentioned it to the ped at her 1 year appointment and she suggested allergy testing. Cassie had a blood test and all was negative. Six weeks later, following a family funeral, she grabbed a peanut butter cookie and after a few bites, large red welts broke out on her face. I snatched the cookie away, my cousin the RN said, "PEANUT ALLERGY!" and after I showed the ped my hastily snapped cell phone photos of Cassie's face, she agreed. We discovered her tree nut allergy after Jamie let her eat Nutella out of the jar...
We've been lucky. Thus far, her reactions tend to be rashy vs anaphylactic. But allergies are a funny, unpredictable thing and we never know if the next reaction will be anaphylactic. Which is why I tend to be something of a food nazi with my daughter. It is hard enough to try to explain to a toddler/preschooler why their snack/dessert/candy/treat/whatever is different than every one else's. But I can do that. What drives me absolutely batshit crazy is when virtual strangers hear about her allergy and start offering unsolicted advice like, "My mother's best friend's third cousin twice removed's sister in law had a kid with that allergy and she just gave him enough to build up his tolerance. He eats peanut butter every day now." Truly I tell you that it takes every iota of self-control I have not say, "Really? Well why don't you play a game of Russian Roulette with your toddler and let me know how that goes!" Because seriously? That's what I'd be doing if I just gave her "a little" every day. Immunotherapy is not something to screw around with, nor is it effective in treating food allergies. The mother's best friend's third cousin twice removed's sister in law's kid notwithstanding, of course.
My other pet peeve? Well meaning people who give her candy w/o my permission. The kid has a food allergy. If the label says "may contain peanuts or tree nuts or processed on equipment that processes peanuts/tree nuts" please don't feed it to my daughter. I will never forget when my sister-in-law made brownies with M&Ms in them and then was surprised when Cassie reacted to the M&Ms. Read the label, or don't give it to my kid. And if you know you're feeding my kid, please provide a safe alternative for her to eat. It sucks enough that half her Halloween candy disappears the minute she empties her sack and that she'll never know the joy of a fluffernutter sammie...
And to the assholes who think their kids have a fundamental right to PB&Js...I don't see that in the Constitution/Bill of Rights. I do see a right to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness...in there. My kid and all the other peanut/tree nut allergic kids in the lunchroom have a right to keep on breathing in that lunchroom. I think you know where you can put that PB&J...
No comments:
Post a Comment