Sunday, August 29, 2010

Making a liar out of Mama

This morning while I was getting ready for Grandma Mildred's funeral, I was dealing with some other stuff. Jamie came in a bit huffy and asked why I was doing what I was doing because it wasn't my job and I certainly wouldn't get any recognition or credit for doing it. I replied that I don't do very many things for recognition or credit, if I needed that, I certainly wouldn't have jumped onto the Mommy track where I don't get a paycheck, much less engraved hunks of crystal like he gets every year. I figure if the kids are productive members of society and stay out of prison in a few decades, I've done okay. But motherhood isn't exactly for those seeking/needing instant gratification.

A few hours later, we were driving down to Rolla for the funeral and Chase hands me a magazine from the back seat. It was open to an Operation Smile ad. Chase had LOTS of questions about cleft lip/cleft palate. I answered his questions, but was honestly anxious to crank up the iPod again. Just as I was getting ready to do that, his voice came from the backseat. "Mom, will you send them $50 from my DS fund?" I said, "Chase, you only have $100 in there." He said, "I know. Those kids need it more than I do."

So then Jamie looks at me smugly and said, "Yeah--that beats a chunk of engraved crystal any day of the week." It does. But I can't take credit for what's in his heart--that's all Chase.

Interestingly, as much as I hear that he looks like his Daddy, today I saw some pictures of his Grandpa Jim...I've seen lots of pictures of my husband as a child, and I would never confuse those with pictures of Chase. But the pictures of Jim at that age? Like I was looking at my kid. CRAZY!

Jamie's cousin Jerri gave a beautiful eulogy for Grandma Mildred. Mildred was a humble, kind, gentle soul. And an amazing cook--her strawberry pie was amazing. But the thing I will remember most about Jamie's grandmother was how she lived her faith every single day. She loved the Lord and she lived like it. She wasn't superior and didn't put on airs. She was who she was, and who she was was a Godly woman. I am grateful that Jamie shared her with me the last 13 years.  And I truly hope that if I am fortunate enough to have 93 years on this Earth, that my life will be celebrated as hers was today.

No comments: