Thursday, April 9, 2009

I chose to be happy

I was finishing up a GREAT book last night (Live Younger Next Year) and reminded that people who chose to be happy are happier than those who don't. They also live longer. I'm a glass half empty kind of gal, so I really have to work at CHOOSING to be happy. This afternoon, as is our routine, I rocked Cassie to sleep. One of my favorite parts of motherhood is rocking wee ones to sleep. So much so that I do as long as they will let me (and that's probably too long). But I love the quiet contentment of the rocking chair with a peaceful, sleeping babe in my arms. I cherish those moments.

Downstairs, the floors were a mess, there was so much dirty laundry to be washed and clean laundry to be put away that I couldn't even see the dirty laundry room floor, there were dishes to do, food to eat (yes, I frequently forget to feed myself)...the to do list was a mile long. And as I looked at Cassie napping in my arms, I knew I had a choice to make. I could resent the chores: the laundry, the dirty floors, the dishes...or I could choose to be grateful. I chose to be grateful. Grateful that my family has an abundance of clothing to wear (and consequently dirty), an abundance of food to eat, that I have the love of two small kids and a furry dog monster (who may dirty the floor, but their love is totally worth the dirty floor).

My final load of laundry is in the dryer. The floors are cleaned, the dog is napping, Chase is home from school and playing quietly in his room. And I'm happy and content. Life is good.

No comments: