My sister's latest blog talks about Bomber's ruptured eardrums. She got a phone call today from me saying, "If motherhood were a poker game, I'd take your two ruptured eardrums and raise you a febrile seizure." Yes, it's a warped sense of humor, but like my mom's friend Pat used to say, "Laughing about it is better than crying about it."
So yes, Cassie had a febrile seizure this afternoon. It was absolutely horrifying and scary but I held it together because that's what you do when you're a mom. the ped gave me "Mom of the Year" b/c I was so calm. I was freaking out on the inside, but totally freaking out and melting down was not going to help Cassie. There is a 60-70% chance it won't happen again, and a 99.5% chance that she won't have any seizure issues as an adult. I'm good with those odds, and will prep all future caregivers what to do if another one happens, just in case. Just in case you ever wondered: in the event of a seizure, turn the person on their side (to prevent choking) and try to keep them from hurting themselves (protect their head from the floor). If it happens again--there will be testing. But hopefully we won't have to go there.
She's on antibiotics--the ped suspects either a sinus infection or the start of pneumonia. Knowing how sick Chase was with pneumonia in '07, my money is on a sinus infection or influenza, but she's the dr and I trust her.
I would have gone to the bar once Cass went to bed (Mama deserves a martini), but Jamie brought me an ice cream cone after Chase's batting practice. Ice cream is just as good as a martini and my clothes don't smell like bar. Mad props as usual to my Dad who was here to meet Chase when he got off the bus so I could rush Cass to the ped (he was coming anyway, but after the seizure, I rushed out of here so fast that she didn't even have shoes on). My dad is a lifesaver.
Any prayers you could send Cassie's way for quick healing are much appreciated. Ditto Brady (because I've heard ruptured eardrums are comparable to natural childbirth in terms of pain and my tasteless poker joke is in no way attempting to minimize the abject misery of that) and Brewer (ear infection, too and he's only 5 mths old) and Hayden (clearly when one of my sister's kids are sick, they're all sick). Apparently my sister and I passed on our puny genes...
No comments:
Post a Comment