Wednesday, May 4, 2011

The Most Expensive Ear of Corn EVER (otherwise known as there is no ear of corn on earth that tastes as good as $1,785.34--therefore we're now a corn-free home)

Right now I'm on the couch in my bathrobe, listening to Cassie play with a pair of toy binoculars and a baby monitor (perhaps she's a secret agent?) and Sherman do this wheezy whine thing. On Saturday afternoon, Jamie's dad came up to look at a piece of farm equipment (I'm not going to try to tell you what is was because I will undoubtably get it wrong). He brought a cooler full of fish and corn. Jamie's local siblings came over and we had a fish fry. I made two delicious apple crisps, we all had a lovely time and all was right with the world.

Sunday I went to church w/Cassie, Jamie went to baseball with Chase. When we got home, I decided to try to take a sick day (HA!) and went upstairs to sit in my chair with my latest crochet project. Sherman followed me. To make a very long story short, he ended up puking. A lot. Multiple times. At one point a chunk of corn cob came up. At that point, my mother's intuition (and let's be real here--this just proves that mamas don't get sick days) was shrieking "BLOCKAGE! Intestinal blockage!" When he refused steak for dinner and puked again, I decided a trip to the doggie ER was in order. Jamie disagreed. I went anyway.

3 days and $1785.34 later, Sherman is recovering from major abdominal surgery. He did have an intestinal blockage (they saved the surgically removed corn cob to show me) and my intuition saved us another $700-1000 in additional surgery costs. It also saved Sherman's life.

Now I know some of you reading this are astounded at the amount of money we shelled out for our dog. I know. I threw up a little in my mouth when I handed over the Mastercard. But when push comes to shove, Shermy is a part of our family. We love him, he loves us and you can't put a price on that.

So my sick day turned into nurse duty. Shermy has 10 pills a day to take until tomorrow, when it drops to 8 pills a day for 10 more days until the staples come out. I've got two more pills to shove down his throat and a shower waiting for me. As for the sick day? Mamas don't get sick days. I should know that by now...

1 comment:

Judy said...

This made me LOL....poor dog!!