Today is Chase's first day of activities camp at our local rec-center. Today is swimming & ice skating (indoor, obviously), tomorrow he'll play games & do crafts, Wednesday is more swimming & ice skating, Thursday is more games, and Friday is a field trip. We've also got VBS at church all week (evenings), so it's going to be a busy week.
I'm trying to get the princess motivated to go shopping for a present for her cousin's bday party on Saturday, but she's pretty entranced by Max & Ruby right now. She just nabbed a go-gurt out of the fridge and I'm having a hard time believing my baby is old enough to help herself to snacks in the fridge. Of course, I was informed last night that she and Lulu (her lovey) are BIG GIRLS, not babies. We had a long talk about when she could get married and have babies. I told her not until she graduated from college and got married. She seems okay with that. She also wanted to know how babies get into their mommies' tummies. Like her brother before her, I told her that God puts them there. Which I believe is true. I mean, I'm not an idiot, I realize I'm leaving out a step. On the other hand, not every baby is conceived the old-fashioned way (she wasn't), so that's the answer she's getting for now. It worked for Chase. I do wonder what atheists tell their kids though...I mean, you can't say God puts them there if you don't believe in God...
Cass is currently obsessed with getting mare-weed. I'm going to chalk it up to her constant diet of Disney Princess stories, in which the Princess always nabs her man in the end, they get married, and live happily ever after. As traditional as I am, it is starting to grate on my nerves a bit. Why can't the Princess get a job or take over the kingdom and run it successfully (and run the wicked stepmonsters out of town)? Why does she need a man to swoop in and save her?
My life is very similar to that of a 1950s housewife. I love it. It works for me. But what if it doesn't work for my daughter? I want her to know she has choices, she has options--she can be whatever she wants to be. SHE can create her own destiny, she doesn't need a man to do it for her. Do I want her to get married and have children? Absolutely, if that's what SHE wants. I just don't want her to think that her "happily ever after" depends on it. I certainly don't want her to rush into a marriage b/c she thinks it will make her happily ever after. I've got too many divorced friends who made that mistake.
I'm pretty sure that rant might qualify me as a feminazi in Rush's eyes. So be it. I want that glass ceiling shattered once and for all before my daughter hits it.
No comments:
Post a Comment