Lots going on in the Tennyson household these days. Chase went into the gifted program at his school last week. His school "clusters" the gifted kids and the cluster was in Chase's class this year, so many of his friends are already in the program. He was so excited to join them! Jamie and I have enough perspective, I think, to realize this doesn't mean he's going to cure cancer after a free ride to Harvard or something ridiculous like that...but we're grateful he has something to further develop his special talents and abilities. I don't feel like I can say we're proud of him b/c he didn't do anything special--it's just how God made him, KWIM? But he's over the moon about it and we're thrilled for him!
We are SO proud of him for getting the Presidential Fitness Award at school this week though! I heard he's only one of seven first graders (out of over 120) to get this award--he had to do something like 36 crunches in a minute, a bunch of push ups, run a 9 minute mile...I remember doing the test in school every year (and hating every second of it) and it was HARD! So when he brought the badge and certificate home I was like, "Chase! You're an ATHELETE! My baby's a jock!"
Of course Jamie is trying to take ALL the credit for the whole gifted athlete thing (and I quote, "Christi, I WAS a scholar athlete in college")...blah, blah DNA. Let's see, he works 90 hours a week while I'm home w/the kids--um, yeah. Who's the smart one? Landscaping under the deck completely kicked his ass this afternoon. I landscaped out front last month w/o missing a beat and shoveled my share of the ton of rocks under the deck today and was doing tricep dips and walking instead of sacked out afterwards. So yeah...I don't think he gets to claim ALL the genetic credit for our little athlete. Seriously though, since I'm obviously a late bloomer on the whole fitness thing--I was so proud of Chase for that award. If only he'd gotten one when Bush's siggy was on it instead of Obama's...SIGH. It's like the damn thing is mocking me on my fridge.
Cassie is talking up a storm, but no one understands her but me. Apparently every word sounds the same. She's learning letters which completely freaks me out--I just don't know what is developmentally appropriate at this point b/c of Chase's speech delay and wide range of normal for this age. I'm sure she's age-appropriate, but I know Jamie is looking forward to the day he doesn't need a translator (that would be me, and to a lesser extend, Chase) to talk to his daughter. Whatev. She is so stinking cute. I know I said I was going to keep her hair in a bob as long as I had to do it but her hair is so long and thick and so freaking adorable in pigtails. So I'm growing it out and trimming the bangs myself. With safety scissors. Just in case. She is obsessed with singing and dancing right now. She loves to dance. We've got another year until we can do dance class for her, so I signed her up for The Little Gym. We start next week and I'm really looking forward to that.
Both kids have been loving the pool on the rare days that it hasn't rained this week! Chasing Cass has been a little easier this year, she isn't quite as fearless as Chase was and seems to get that she can't just take off after him into the deep. I'm debating about signing them up for joint private lessons this summer...Chase needs to work on proper swimming (as opposed to his dog paddle), but I'm not sure Cass is really old enough. I'll talk to the lifeguards about it when school is out and we're there every day!
I'm still on the pred and claviwhatever. It sucks but I know this too shall pass. I'm trying to take advantage of the manic pred behavior. Seriously, I've never been this caught up on laundry and household chores before--I'm like Martha Stewart on Ritalin. And that bitchy. Not a good thing.
Off to bed. I'm subbing for Sunday School tomorrow at church, we've got a youth group outing to the Butterfly House after service, then we've got Cub Scout graduation...it's going to be a crazy busy day! I'm hoping Cass enjoys her first visit to the Butterfly House...I've kind of made them her thing since my mom loved them so much.
No comments:
Post a Comment