Monday, March 9, 2009

Sorry Mom

So I had Parent Teacher Conferences for Chase last week. Jamie isn't allowed to go with me ever since he told Chase's preschool teacher, "Yeah, but you say this kind of stuff to all the parents, don't you?" And when she said, "Uh, no!" He said, "Really? Like what kind of bad stuff do you have to tell them???" Yeah. Banned from Parent Teacher Conferences for embarrassing the wife.

So despite the fact that I spent the entire last decade of my mom's life apologizing for my teen years, I'm throwing yet another apology up to whatever cloud she's resting (and laughing her ass off) on. Because now I'm the parent with the smart kid who isn't paying attention in class. And how do you punish a kid w/good grades, who is paying just enough attention to know what's going on, but not really working? How do you punish that? So frustrating.

Interestingly, we were at the ped for his well child check this morning (he's 4 ft tall and 49.5lbs, the little string bean) and I mentioned it to my ped. She mentioned a study (she's really into studies) that showed 20 minutes of video games can affect school performance the next day. Fortunately he heard our discussion, so his Nintendo DS is now limited to Fridays, Saturdays, and holidays! I shot his teacher a quick email asking if she's noticed an increase in inattention since Christmas (which is when he got the DS), I'm betting she has...and I'd love to blame the DS!

We're having a pretty good cycle break so far, probably b/c he didn't get any shots today and won't get any more shots until his 11 year old well child check! That news made his day. We're heading to the Magic House next week, I've invited our neighbor Jessi for an extra set of hands to help w/Cassie. We're planning a visit w/Dad to my sister's later this week...keeping him busy keeps me sane during break!

No comments: